2026年9月1日火曜日

ギャラリー雅堂だより 2026年9月 花の島 竹富

井堂雅夫「花の島 竹富」

今月は、1993年のNHKドラマ「琉球の風」の放送に合わせて依頼され、日本橋三越で開催された記念展で発表した「花の島武富」です。

同時にNHK出版から刊行された画集『日本の四季彩』には、この作品を含む沖縄シリーズについて、井堂雅夫自身が寄せた文章が収められています。

当時、47歳。作品創りに真っすぐに向き合っていた井堂雅夫が、初めて沖縄を訪れたときに感じたもの、そしてそれを真摯に木版画で表現しようと取材に取り組む姿が、その文章から伝わってきます。


沖縄・光と風に寄せて

昨年スケッチで初めて訪ねた。6月の陽光がまぶしい。沖縄は光と影の世界だと思った。沖縄にはかねてから関心が強かった。それは、この地にいまだ東洋のルーツが残っているからだ。

生活の場である海にも、傍らの石にも沖縄の人たちは神を感じている。自然とは一心同体の生活スタイルを頑固に守っている。いま私が、一番感じて求めている東洋精神。そんな暮らしが、沖縄には色濃く残っていた。思った通りだ。

この、言葉でも写真でも伝えられない沖縄の信仰に根付いた目に見えない情感を、自分は木版画で伝えられないかとしばし格闘した。自然と一体となった沖縄の暮らしを表現するには、木と和紙といった自然の素材だけで作り出す木版画が一番似合っているのではないか。


Blog post

Sep. 2026

Taketomi: Island of Flowers

This month, we are featuring "Taketomi: Island of Flowers" a work created in conjunction with the 1993 NHK television drama The Wind of Ryukyu (Ryukyu no Kaze) and presented at Masao Ido’s solo exhibition at Nihombashi Mitsukoshi.

In the same year, NHK Publishing released the art book The Colors of the Four Seasons of Japan, which includes a series of works inspired by Okinawa, including this piece. The book also features a text written by Masao Ido about the series.

Here we see Masao Ido at the age of 47, wholeheartedly devoted to his artistic creation.

Okinawa — In Light and Wind

I first visited Okinawa last year, sketchbook in hand. The June sunlight was dazzling. I felt that Okinawa was a world of light and shadow.

I had long been deeply drawn to Okinawa. There was a reason for this: the roots of the East still remain alive here.

The people of Okinawa sense the presence of the gods not only in the sea, which is an integral part of their daily lives, but also in the stones at their side. They have stubbornly held on to a way of life that is one with nature. This was exactly the Eastern spirit I had been feeling most strongly and seeking for myself. And there it was, still vividly alive in Okinawa, just as I had imagined.

For a while, I wrestled with the question: Could I somehow convey through my woodblock prints this invisible emotion, deeply rooted in Okinawan faith, something that words and photographs could never fully express?

Then I began to think that woodblock printing might be the perfect medium for expressing the Okinawan way of life, so deeply intertwined with nature. After all, woodblock prints are made using nothing more than natural materials—wood and washi paper.

 


株式会社 雅堂

京都市北区平野宮屋敷町27

TEL 075-464-1655

FAX 075-464-0747

mokuhanga@gado.jp

 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿